It is an extra-hot Austin summer. This means we are all spending a lot more time at home. Also, there is a global pandemic keeping us all safer at home. These factors likely have contributed to your home cooling bills going through the roof. Others here in Austin are going through the same thing. This is why we here at Window Film Austin made an exhaustive list to help you save as much money as possible during these tough times.
HOW TO REDUCE ENERGY BILLS IN SUMMER
- Keep an Eye on Your Thermostat: During the summer heat. it is important to keep an eye on your thermostat, especially if you have central air. A 78-degree setting is the best setting when it comes to keeping your Austin home energy-efficient. This could save you 20% over a lower 72-degree setting!
- Use Fans in Every Room: When keeping your thermostat set to 78-degrees, you will probably need some other way to lower the temperature inside your Austin home. One way to do this is by using fans in the rooms of your home. The temperature reduction from fans works like wind-chill factor–it makes rooms feel cooler.
- Open the Windows: Of course, your windows wide open in the heat of the day when it is hot. You risk letting out all the air you paid to cool. However, after an evening storm or on cool nights–opening a window and using a fan will cost you much less than running the A/C.
- Stop Using Incandescent Light Bulbs: Incandescent light bulbs only emit some heat but, cutting every small corner is the key to saving the most money on your cooling bills. LED bulbs let off almost no heat and contribute to less electricity overall.
- Lower the Use of Heat Generating Appliances: Dryers, ovens, dishwashers, and microwaves all release heat into your Austin interiors. When the summer heats up, reducing the use of these appliances is an important part of keeping your Austin home cooler. You can line dry clothes and cook food on a barbeque outdoors as much as possible to keep temperatures and cooling costs low.
- Maintain Your Cooling Equipment: A/C and central air units get a lot of use in sizzling summers like this one. If they are clogged or covered by dust and grime this causes them to work even harder. This is how and why breakdowns and poor performance occur. By cleaning your units frequently and making sure repairs are less frequent and can cut cooling costs by around 10-15%.
- Have Window Film Installed: One of the best ways to keep cooling bills low in the summer and save money in the winter too is by installing an energy-efficient window film in your Austin home. Window films and tints come with many other benefits too! Read about them here.
- Keep Curtains and Shades Closed: It is proven that window film is great for lower cooling bills and reducing heat in your home but used in coordination with curtains and shades it will further reduce solar heat gain–especially on these 100+ degree days we are seeing in Austin
While all of these ideas together are what will save you big time on your utilities in the heat of the Austin summer. It could also help with your winter bills too. Window film is arguably the most effective of all of these solutions–and comes with other benefits. Contact us here at Custom Tint Solutions in Austin for more details and to get pricing.